Space Invaders Review
Inspired Gaming is taking players to a retro-styled space adventure based on the acclaimed 1980s game of the same name. Boasting a beautiful retro design, plenty of modifiers and features, Space Invader is the perfect opportunity to dive into a unique playing experience.
It’s not easy to make an online slot inspired by such a cult video game, which is why we’re eager to see if this slot lives up to the expectation.
- Medium variance with a top payout of 1,250 times the bet
- Twenty fixed paylines
- Lots of features on offer, with even more modifiers
One thing is sure: players won’t lack chances to scoop prizes. There are seven of them in total, with five delivered in the main game and the remaining two available after a losing spin.
The sticky Wild respin is another randomly-triggered feature, but the real excitement begins in the Free Spins round. It comes with modifiers, multipliers, and even a pick-me game after the bonus ends. Despite the number of features on offer, the top prize won’t exceed 1,250 times your bet.
Theme, Graphics and Sounds
The first thing you’ll notice is the slot’s stylish appearance. Although Space Invaders is a 1980s video game, Inspired Gaming made sure the retro artwork didn’t look outdated. The soundtrack matches the overall theme and helps set up an arcade atmosphere.
Playable on all devices, Space Invaders use a standard five-reel, three-row grid with twenty-five fixed paylines. Land at least three matching symbols left to form a win, but keep in mind they have to be positioned on an active line to award a corresponding payout.
Low-value symbols include red, purple, blue, and green pixel invaders, followed by spaceships, rockets and the game’s logo. The latter will deliver a win even for two of a kind.
A UFO will drop modifiers when it flies over the main playing area and gets hit by a cannon. There are five of them:
- Wild Cannon – places Wilds in random positions on the three middle reels
- Monster Wilds – all Wilds expand to cover their respective reels completely
- Five-of-a-kind – delivers one or more full-line wins
- Mega Reel – merges reels into one with 3×3 Mega symbols
- Bonus Boost – a random number of Scatters is placed on the grid, improving the odds of triggering the bonus round
However, that’s not all, as there are two additional modifiers appearing after a losing spin in the main game. They can either turn a random icon into a Mega symbol or place random symbols on the board.
The sticky Wild respin is another randomly-triggered feature available in the main game. When activated, all instances of a symbol chosen at random lock in their positions and a respin is awarded. Any new winning icons will also lock in place, repeating the process.
Space Invaders Free Spins
Landing three or more Scatters unlocks the Free Spins bonus round. Players will get one spin of the Bonus Wheel to determine their prize.
There’s also a bonus gamble option available, allowing them to increase their bonus, but if they lose, they’ll return to the main game.
Here’s what the bonus wheel offers:
- Shoot Out – the bonus offers four random cash prizes
- UFO Climber – collect UFO symbols to move along the multiplier trail with cash awards
- Wild Cannon Free Spins – free spins with random sticky Wilds that stay on the grid throughout the round
- Monster Wild Free Spins – free spins with expanding Wilds
- Mega Reel Free Spins – free spins with a 3×3 Mega reel
- Space Invaders – shoot alien invaders to claim bet multipliers
Once the bonus ends, there’s a Pick a Coin game, where you can claim one of these prizes:
- Game Over – ends the round
- Continue – continues a bonus or gives additional spins
- Space Invaders – unlocks the Space Invaders bonus game
Where To Play Space Invaders?
RTP, bet sizes and volatility
The default RTP for Space Invaders is 95%. That’s disappointingly below the current industry average.
Players can place bets ranging from $0.20 to $200 on every spin.
The maximum cash prize you can hope to claim per spin is worth 1,200 times your bet. That’s not too generous, even for a medium variance title such as this. If you’re eager to claim bigger payouts, we suggest finding a more volatile release.
Space Invaders is a real treat for all those who enjoy retro-styled games. But it’s not all about its looks, as the slot boasts a wide selection of features that promise an action-packed experience from the moment the reels start spinning.
There are many ways to claim prizes, although the maximum win of 1,250 times the bet is pretty modest, not to mention the ridiculously low RTP of 95%. We rate it 4 out of 5 stars.